While Search Engine Optimization and Advertising are specific tasks to engage, Search Engine Marketing is the key component that actually determines how you will optimize and advertise on the web. It is the research, analysis, strategy planning that will determine the execution methods.
More after the jump.
* SEO is the process of making changes to the HTML code of your web pages to be content rich in your specific niche and key phrase. This would include such tasks like modifications to your keywords, description, title tags, comment tags, alt descriptions, and title descriptions of anchors and the actual text of your web page.
* SEM on the other had is the process of integrating a variety of methods to insure the SEO work is successful. These methods will include research for your business, competitor analysis, link exchanges, articles, news, newsletters, audience analysis, and ultimately the method employed to generate traffic to your website.
It is the same distinction between the words “marketing” and “advertising”.
* Marketing is the process or technique of promotion, selling and distributing a product or service.
* Advertising is to make your product or service publicly known; an announcement to call public attention by emphasizing qualities to arouse a desire to purchase.
There are two words that are feared in the SEM world: Patience and Change!
You will need ongoing commitment to making search-engine ranking a long-term investment in your website. You will need to give it time and energy – it isn’t a quick fix. Everyone truly committed to their online business has to consider outsourcing to businesses like Yeah Local who focus entirely on it at some point in their development.
Considerations with search engine patience:
* Search engines often change their ranking formula.
* Each search engine has its own algorithm (formula) to determine site ranking.
* META tag keywords are not a magic bullet to improve your ranking.
* Search engines can take many months to index new information, so patience…patience.
Search engine spiders can be extremely slow to index new information, so be patient! It may take months to see your changes affect your search engine ranking. Remember, a website is a dynamic marketing tool that you are building over time. Treat it well, give it a little love and attention, and your long-term rewards will be well worth your efforts!
If you thought nowadays search engine marketing can still be done by acquiring (and using) an auto-submission software, drop this thought immediately. This brings us to the other feared word, “change”! It is inevitable for technological changes to take effect with search engine algorithms. Websites drop rankings from 8 to zero over night. Because things keep changing, search engine marketers need to devote a good deal of time staying on top of the SEO industry and its trends. Watch your page ranking, your website statistics, your Alexa traffic ranking. All of these tools will allow you to find out if there are any significant changes occurring on the web.