Today is Earth Day and we will be celebrating here on the site with news, tips, and information to help you live a green lifestyle. So are is a list of the top 10 ways that you can go green right now!
1) Turn off your computer, lights, stereo, TV and other appliances when not in use.
2) Unplug adapters (like your cell phone charger and MP3 player) when not in use, as the charger will use energy 24/7 even when your item is not charging. Use a power strip for items (like an entertainment system) and turn power strip off when not in use (anything with a remote control is constantly drawing electricity).
3) Use compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) instead of incandescent light bulbs.
4) During the daytime, use natural lighting when possible-open your blinds to brighten up the room. During the night, close your blinds or curtains to keep the heat in your room.
5) Save energy with no effort by enabling your computer’s energy-saving features. Always turn your computer off if you will not be using it within the next hour.
6) Consider energy-efficient computer systems and monitors when you replace a system. Flat-screen monitors use 50-70% less energy.
7) Turn your refrigerator temperature down (while retaining a healthy level). Most refrigerators are set at a temperature that is unnecessarily cold, resulting in accidentally almost-frozen food.
8) Buy ENERGY STAR®-qualified models.
9) Use cold for the wash cycle (instead of hot) when you do your laundry, and always rinse in cold. Colder water also ensures your fabric colors will not run!
10) Consider using a clothing rack or hangers to air-dry your laundry instead of using the dryer. This will help the quality of your clothing last longer and the extra humidity from the drying clothes can also make your room feel warmer!